After a WSUS Rebuild, I started noticing that Machines, although associating with WSUS were showing up that they had not yet reported to the server, upon investigating this it was discovered that the clients were erroring and displaying error code 800B0001. The machine in question hosting WSUS is a 64 Bit Server 2008 R2 machine, with these details in hand I go off looking for a solution.
Looking for solutions to this I came across several sources indicating that this is a known problem, and thankfully that there is a solution available from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29999)
I simply installed the update, and restarted at then end as asked by the installer, once the server is back up I went back to the same clients and re-ran windows update, and off it went working again.
Nice Simple fix, if only everything was that easy
Today whilst installing a new WSUS server on a 2008R2 Standard server for a client I came across a new error I had not seen before, basically WSUS install got part of the way through and then threw up the error: “Windows Server Update Service 3.0 SP2 could not install WSUSService and the Performance Counters”
To be honest this was a quick fix, basically it in my case came down to entirely the performance counters, which is about a 5 minute check and a 30 second fix
First we want to open RegEdit and check the “Counter” entry under “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib” and then compare it to the last number value in Counter under “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\009“. In this case 009 is the locale ID for english, and therefore 009 would be different for other locales
In my case this was all ok, however if it is not you may need to make sure that you have not disabled the Performance Counters, looking under “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib” see if you have the “Disable Perforamance Counters” setting, if it is missing, then do not worry it simply means that they are enabled and never have been disabled (the entry is only generated once the counters have been disabled for the first time). If the key is set (has a value of 1) then turn it off (set it to 0)
Once this is done you need to rebuild the counters, this is thankfully easy to do from the command line, simply open an administrative command prompt and type the following
The first command uses the SystemDir Environmental Variable and the System32 path to drop you into the system 32 directory (Normally C:\Windows\system32, but will change depending on install location, the environmental variable will change so it always points to the correct directory). The second command tells the counters to Rebuild the entries from scratch, alternatively if you have a backup of the perf counters (generated by the lodctr /s:<;filename>; command) you can load it with lodctr /R:<;filename>;
As I said, takes longer to do the checks than it does to apply the fix (isn’t that always the case)