I have been thinking about doing this review for a while, but had not got up to doing it…. until now.
As you may have inferred from previous posts, I am a shooter, and considering where I live (Australia, for those who have not worked it out from the domain) I do have a rather extensive, and expensive collection of longarms (well for Australia at least), and as with any hobby, space is always at a premium. Due to this, and the fact I have plans to double my collection over time, I had to find space to fit more into the (do more with less anyone??). Considering I already had two safes, one being used to store ammunition and the other the firearms themselves, as to comply with Australian law, I had to get as much into the Hy-Skor (Hyskor) HSCH2 (a 30 longarm safe) as possible. As anyone who has had a firearms safe with any type of modern scoped rifle in it, can attest there is no way you can fit the stated capacity in the safe as it is (if I am to believe what I am told) based on how many shotguns, specifically over/under shotguns it can fit, not rifles.
So it is with this starting situation I start looking for solutions, as it happens someone else at the time over at Shooting.com.au (No longer a forum) was looking for something called Rifle Rods (available through Store More Guns) them, and I saw the thread and my interest was piqued. After some research I decided to purchase some on my trip to the US in December 2012/January 2013, and this is exactly what I did, I purchased them and had them delivered to my hotel in San Francisco, then flew back with them.
After several months of having other things to do, including hours of catch up work for taking 6 weeks off (is it really a holiday if you come back and do the work anyway?) I finally got around to doing the first part of the install in April. The first part is/was the modifying of the safe itself, whilst strictly not required and I could have put the special hook and loop material onto the bottom of the shelves and internal compartment, I would have only got about two thirds of the possible shelf space. So instead I took measurements using the pre existing mounting points for the firearms and the pre-existing shelves and internal compartment bottoms to get dimensions for shelves, these turned out to be as follows;
Shelf: 590mm in width; 360mm in depth with 2 folds on the 590mm edge adding another 10mm for each fold, and the material being 1.5mm steel
Internal Compartment Bottom Extension: 540mm in width; 360mm in depth with 1 fold on the 540mm edge adding another 10mm for the fold, and the material being 1.5mm steel
Which I then took to a local metalshop and got them to fold me the new larger shelves, when this was done both shelves were then primed with 2 coats of Kill Rust primer that I purchased from the local hardware store, as well as a top coat of “hammer tone” black to make it more closely match the powder coating of the safe. I also cut and fitted the Hook and Loop material to the bottom of the shelf and the bottom extension, with the shelf also getting a piece of non slip matting being cut for its upper part. That was the easy part done, now to install them.
To install the shelf was the easy part of the installation process, simply take the old one out, and put the new one in, the extension to the internal compartment bottom was a whole different ballgame.
To affix this new bottom/shelf to the safe I firstly had to remove the lining from under the compartment, this was very, very well adhered to the bottom of the compartment with some form of glue, so after about an hour of scraping away at it will a scraper, and making a mess in general but I eventually got a clean(ish) surface to work with, I then proceeded to use SikaBond to glue it to the base, using various objects from around the safe area to hold it in place until the SikaBond had dried, then plus a few days to ensure it had cured.
Once this was done it was simply a matter of re-installing the lighting system and putting the rifles and other bits back in. Now I have not only a safe that will hold the advertised amount, but more than the advertised amount I believe, but I will have to find out at some point.
Overall I am very happy with this, I do want to make a couple of modifications to the system, namely for the shotguns where the rods really need a rubber or silicon part attached to the rods that makes them a little wider so they sit properly upright, I suppose I had better break out the moulding gear and the vacuum chamber.
Now back to the Arduino Project.