Why am I Still Waiting? Wating for the Perfect Tablet.

As I have said in other posts, I know I am far from the typical consumer especially when it comes to electronic devices. However it seems there is a good demand for a Hybrid (my preference) or convertable Windows 8 tablet out there with some what really seem to be basic functions.

After reading several other blogs and many, many forum posts I have come up with what I would think would be the perfect tablet;

• Haswell i5 or i7 CPU
  • 4+GB of RAM (8GB or greater preferred, prehaps as an option)
  • 256GB+ SSD in tablet
    • Addition HDD in dock simular to ASUS & HP Designs (if Hybrid, else secondary HDD)
  • 12.5″-13.3″ Screen
    • 1920×1080 or greater resolution
    • Ideally edge to edge screen
  • 802.1ac Wireless
  • Wacom Active Digitizer
  • 3G/4G connection
  • Secondary battery in base (if hybrid)

Not overly fancy but there you have it

Written By Justin

7 Comments on “Why am I Still Waiting? Wating for the Perfect Tablet.

1. Arran Reply

October 16, 2013 at 9:18

So, what did you think of the Ubuntu Edge?

• ShadowPeo Reply

October 17, 2013 at 1:04

Certainly an interesting concept and I can see devices going this route in the future or at least to a limited extent, but there will always be a market for larger devices with greater processing power and larger displays.

• Arran Reply

October 17, 2013 at 2:48

Not sure how that relates. 😛

2. ShadowPeo Reply

October 18, 2013 at 1:38

It relates as the concept of the edge is a dual OS phone/pc with display and other non-conventional (at this point anyway) I/O subsystems, therefore attempting to converge a modern PC with a phone, is this not the very definition of a converged device?

This my comment stating that its an interesting concept and we may end up seeing more of it in the future is a valid point, yet whilst pointing out it is more of an access device and not something that can/should do heavy processing such as video editing or other CPU/GPU intensive tasks.

Using this as an access device to a cloud based VM (so basically a thin client interconnect) could be an interesting use though

3. ShadowPeo Reply

October 21, 2013 at 5:00

As a device for me personally it fails on the first point of checking, its not a 12.5-13.3″ screen, making it useless for my intended puposes. I intend to use it as a touch enabled RDP client and web browser mostly, for management of server based systems, and I need to run some Windows based Domain Management applications natively, all of which need a “large” high resolution screen to be of any value to me.

What I have been doing with the Alienware however is using VM’s for all that stuff, having individual VM’s for Domain Management, Development, Business Apps (accounting etc) so they are all sequested from one another, and nothing breaks something else, hence I would like more RAM, but I doubt that is going to be possible with the current or near current generation devices. Some things I can move to web based applications for, others not so much.

4. arran Reply

October 22, 2013 at 10:29

Ah. That was more to the answer I was expecting. You have very different use-cases than I do. 😛

5. ShadowPeo Reply

October 24, 2013 at 6:50

Each use case is different, its al about the needs of the many vs the needs of the few